Quotes by Leon Panetta
- After every major conflict - World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the fall of the Soviet Union - what happened was that we ultimately hollowed out the force, largely by doing deep across-the-board cuts.
- Today, I think the attitude is that governing is not necessarily good politics, and the result is that it's much more partisan and much more divided.
- Well look, CIA is an agency that has to collect intelligence, do operations. We have to take risks and it's important that we take risks and that we know that we have the support of the government and we have the support of the American people in what we're doing.
- Winning in Afghanistan is having a country that is stable enough to ensure that there is no safe haven for Al Qaida or for a militant Taliban that welcomes Al Qaida. That's really the measure of success for the United States.
- You know, as director of the CIA, I got an awful lot of intelligence about all the horrible things that could go on across the world.