Quotes by Meister Eckhart
- A human being has so many skins inside, covering the depths of the heart. We know so many things, but we don't know ourselves! Why, thirty or forty skins or hides, as thick and hard as an ox's or bear's, cover the soul. Go into your own ground and learn to know yourself there.
- All God wants of man is a peaceful heart.
- Every creature is a word of God.
- God expects but one thing of you, and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far as you are a created being made and let God be God in you.
- God is at home, it's we who have gone out for a walk.
- If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.
- One person who has mastered life is better than a thousand persons who have mastered only the contents of books, but no one can get anything out of life without God.
- The eye with which I see God is the same eye with which God sees me.
- The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God as if he stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge.
- The outward work will never be puny if the inward work is great.
- To be full of things is to be empty of God. To be empty of things is to be full of God.
- Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us.
- We are celebrating the feast of the Eternal Birth which God the Father has borne and never ceases to bear in all eternity... But if it takes not place in me, what avails it? Everything lies in this, that it should take place in me.
- When you are thwarted, it is your own attitude that is out of order.
- Words derive their power from the original word.
- You may call God love, you may call God goodness. But the best name for God is compassion.