Quotes by Mos Def
- African art is functional, it serves a purpose. It's not a dormant. It's not a means to collect the largest cheering section. It should be healing, a source a joy. Spreading positive vibrations.
- And remember don't high post when you're far from home, and high posting when you're all alone.
- Bob Marley performed the 'One Love Peace' concert in Jamaica with the two different warring political sides. There's always been that in black music and culture in general. It's no surprise because black music is such a reflection of what's going on in black life. It's not unusual for hip-hop.
- Focused. I'm a hustler. And my hustle is trying to figure out the best ways to do what I like without having to do much else.
- Good art provides people with a vocabulary about things they can't articulate.
- I began to fear that Mos Def was being treated as a product, not a person, so I've been going by Yasiin since '99. At first it was just for friends and family, but now I'm declaring it openly.
- I can't control what people think. I'm not trying to manipulate people's thoughts or sentiments. I write all the time. You have to experience life, make observations, and ask questions. It's machine-like how things are run now in hip-hop, and my ambitions are different.
- I come from a family of very devout, praying people. That idea of peace and love toward humanity shouldn't be nationalistic or denominational. It should be a chief concern for all mankind.
- I don't want to waste anyone's time or money. I want to give people some truth and positive heart lift.
- I have no confidence issues with the impact or the quality of the music. No one in hip-hop, before this point and to this point, with all due respect, has done this.
- I know what it feels like to have the door slammed firmly in my face, so I'm cool with that.
- That idea of peace and love toward humanity shouldn't be nationalistic or denominational. It should be a chief concern for all mankind.
- To me, the job of the artist is to provide a useful and intelligent vocabulary for the world to be able to articulate feelings they experience everyday, and otherwise wouldn't have the means to express in a meaningful and useful way.
- With guys I revere, like Marcus Garvey or Malcolm X, their look is less about style than purpose and the expression of beauty. It wasn't just about being noticed, you know?
- You have to experience life, make observations, and ask questions.