Quotes by Robert E Lee
- Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret.
- I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.
- I tremble for my country when I hear of confidence expressed in me. I know too well my weakness, that our only hope is in God.
- In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.
- It is good that war is so horrible, or we might grow to like it.
- It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.
- Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character.
- The education of a man is never completed until he dies.
- The trite saying that honesty is the best policy has met with the just criticism that honesty is not policy. The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
- The war... was an unnecessary condition of affairs, and might have been avoided if forebearance and wisdom had been practiced on both sides.
- This war is not about slavery.
- We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing.
- We must expect reverses, even defeats. They are sent to teach us wisdom and prudence, to call forth greater energies, and to prevent our falling into greater disasters.
- What a cruel thing war is... to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors.