Quotes by George Osborne
- A generous basic state pension is the least a civilized society should offer those who have worked hard and saved through their whole lives.
- Everyone in our society has had to make a contribution towards dealing with the debts.
- I had the closest thing I have ever had to an out-of-body experience lying in bed one morning. I turned on the 'Today' programme and item four on the news was: 'The shadow chancellor has ruled himself out of the leadership.' I lay there thinking that's interesting, then I realised it was me.
- I support gay marriage. I support gay marriage because I believe Conservatives support the institutions of commitment.
- I think the British people are very, very attached to the idea that the health service is free at the point of use. But there is no reason why every doctor, nurse and teacher in this country has to be employed by the state.
- I understand the damage the expenses crisis has done to Parliament, and the paramount importance of restoring trust in our politics.
- If you want to change the way your banking system is regulated, if you want to learn the mistakes of what's gone wrong, then you have to change your government.
- It's normally the kiss of death to be identified as a rising star, or someone to watch.
- Of all the public services, education is the one I'm most interested in. You get a more dynamic economy, you deal with most social problems, and it's morally right.
- Tax cuts should be for life, not just for Christmas.
- The foundations of a strong economy don't rest alone on the decisions of Chancellors or the spending programmes of government.
- The positive news is that the British economy is continuing to grow and is creating jobs. And it is positive news too that at a time of real international instability we are a safe haven in the storm.
- There was a real fear that a euro-zone bank might fail, that we'd have a sovereign debt problem in one of the larger European economies. That's dissipated, thanks largely to the action of the European Central Bank.