Quotes by Gerry Adams
- At that time, the army leadership said the implementation of this agreement would allow everyone, including the IRA, to take its political objectives forward by peaceful and democratic means.
- But if republicans are to prevail, if the peace process is to be successfully concluded and Irish sovereignty and re-unification secured, then we have to set the agenda - no-one else is going to do that.
- For over 30 years, the IRA showed that the British government could not rule Ireland on its own terms.
- It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
- Making peace, I have found, is much harder than making war.
- Republican patience with how unionism deals with the political institutions, and with key issues like equality and human rights, will be tested because, obviously, there will be a battle a day on these matters. So lets face up to all of this with our eyes wide open.
- Sinn Fein has demonstrated the ability to play a leadership role as part of a popular movement towards peace, equality and justice.
- Sinn Fein has productively taken the example of South Africa and, as we develop the peace process, we continue to use examples from South Africa.
- Such decisions will be far reaching and difficult. But you never lacked courage in the past. Your courage is now needed for the future.
- The Irish Republican Army has kept every commitment made by its leadership.
- The unionists also for their part, want to minimise the potential for change, not only on the equality agenda but on the issues of sovereignty and ending the union.
- When others stood idly by, you and your families gave your all, in defence of a risen people and in pursuit of Irish freedom and unity.
- Your determination, selflessness and courage have brought the freedom struggle towards its fulfilment.