Quotes by James Otis
- A man's house is his castle.
- Every one with this writ may be a tyrant if this commission be legal, a tyrant in a legal manner, also, may control, imprison, or murder any one within the realm.
- I pray God I may never be brought to the melancholy trial but, if ever I should, it will then be known how far I can reduce to practice principles which I know to be founded in truth.
- It is a clear truth that those who every day barter away other men's liberty will soon care little for their own.
- My dear sister, I hope, when God Almighty in his righteous providence shall take me out of time into eternity, that it will be by a flash of lightning.
- Now, one of the most essential branches of English liberty is the freedom of one's house.
- The only principles of public conduct that are worthy of a gentleman or a man are to sacrifice estate, ease, health, and applause, and even life, to the sacred calls of his country.