Quotes by Jorge Luis Borges
- Any life is made up of a single moment, the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is.
- Democracy is an abuse of statistics.
- I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
- Life and death have been lacking in my life.
- Poetry remembers that it was an oral art before it was a written art.
- The fact is that all writers create their precursors. Their work modifies our conception of the past, just as it is bound to modify the future.
- The truth is that we live out our lives putting off all that can be put off perhaps we all know deep down that we are immortal and that sooner or later all men will do and know all things.
- Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire.
- To be immortal is commonplace except for man, all creatures are immortal, for they are ignorant of death what is divine, terrible, incomprehensible, is to know that one is immortal.
- To die for a religion is easier than to live it absolutely.
- To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god.