Quotes by R D Laing
- Children do not give up their innate imagination, curiosity, dreaminess easily. You have to love them to get them to do that.
- Madness need not be all breakdown. It may also be break-through. It is potential liberation and renewal as well as enslavement and existential death.
- The experience and behavior that gets labeled schizophrenic is a special strategy that a person invents in order to live in an unlivable situation.
- The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.
- There is a great deal of pain in life and perhaps the only pain that can be avoided is the pain that comes from trying to avoid pain.
- We are all murderers and prostitutes - no matter to what culture, society, class, nation one belongs, no matter how normal, moral, or mature, one takes oneself to be.
- We live in a moment of history where change is so speeded up that we begin to see the present only when it is already disappearing.