Quotes by Robert M Hutchins
- A liberal education... frees a man from the prison-house of his class, race, time, place, background, family and even his nation.
- A world community can exist only with world communication, which means something more than extensive short-wave facilities scattered about the globe. It means common understanding, a common tradition, common ideas, and common ideals.
- Education is a kind of continuing dialogue, and a dialogue assumes different points of view.
- Education is not to reform students or amuse them or to make them expert technicians. It is to unsettle their minds, widen their horizons, inflame their intellects, teach them to think straight, if possible.
- My idea of education is to unsettle the minds of the young and inflame their intellects.
- The college graduate is presented with a sheepskin to cover his intellectual nakedness.
- The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
- The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives.