Quotes by Rollo May
- Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing.
- Courage is not the absence of despair it is, rather, the capacity to move ahead in spite of despair.
- Creativity is not merely the innocent spontaneity of our youth and childhood it must also be married to the passion of the adult human being, which is a passion to live beyond one's death.
- Depression is the inability to construct a future.
- Freedom is man's capacity to take a hand in his own development. It is our capacity to mold ourselves.
- Human freedom involves our capacity to pause, to choose the one response toward which we wish to throw our weight.
- It requires greater courage to preserve inner freedom, to move on in one's inward journey into new realms, than to stand defiantly for outer freedom. It is often easier to play the martyr, as it is to be rash in battle.
- Joy, rather than happiness, is the goal of life, for joy is the emotion which accompanies our fulfilling our natures as human beings. It is based on the experience of one's identity as a being of worth and dignity.
- The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.
- The relationship between commitment and doubt is by no means an antagonistic one. Commitment is healthiest when it's not without doubt but in spite of doubt.