Quotes by Sydney J Harris
- Almost no one is foolish enough to imagine that he automatically deserves great success in any field of activity yet almost everyone believes that he automatically deserves success in marriage.
- Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be.
- Happiness is a direction, not a place.
- If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?
- It's surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you're not comfortable within yourself, you can't be comfortable with others.
- Knowledge fills a large brain it merely inflates a small one.
- Men make counterfeit money in many more cases, money makes counterfeit men.
- Middle Age is that perplexing time of life when we hear two voices calling us, one saying, 'Why not?' and the other, 'Why bother?'
- Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better.
- Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
- The beauty of 'spacing' children many years apart lies in the fact that parents have time to learn the mistakes that were made with the older ones - which permits them to make exactly the opposite mistakes with the younger ones.
- The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure.
- The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers.
- The three hardest tasks in the world are neither physical feats nor intellectual achievements, but moral acts: to return love for hate, to include the excluded, and to say, 'I was wrong'.
- The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.
- The two words 'information' and 'communication' are often used interchangeably, but they signify quite different things. Information is giving out communication is getting through.
- The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.
- When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'