SEO Checklist for E-commerce
Check your site, your contractor and yourself.
21:21 06 December 2019
To what extent your site meets the current requirements of search engines and will be able to compete with your competitors in the top search engines.
Recommendations for the site administration system (CMS)
In the CMS should be provided the possibility of changing the following elements on all pages of the site (regardless of each other):
- alias or URL (page alias or page address);
- header H1;
- page header in the site menu and bread crumbs;
- page content with the ability to edit in HTML.
How to check:
The check is performed by manual viewing and testing of the administrative part of the site.
The ability to edit the elements presented in the requirements is necessary for the correct promotion of the site in search engines. Lack of ability to edit these elements makes it difficult to promote the site.
Recommendations for titles
- All pages of the site should have only one Title header.
- The Title tag must be unique within the site for each page.
- The title must be filled in.
- The title must correspond exactly to the content of the page.
- The title must be brief but accurate.
How to check:
Verification is done by manually viewing the contents of title tags, subcategories, product pages, and information pages, or by using specialized programs (e.g. https://www.mageworx.com/). If the site is available in webmasters, it is recommended to check it with their functionality.
Correctly compiled and optimized title tags are necessary for the correct promotion of the site in search engines. Absence, duplication or incorrectly compiled title tags negatively affect the promotion of the site.
Recommendations for meta-tags description
- All pages of the site should have only one meta-tag Description.
- The Description must be unique within the site.
- The Description must be filled in.
- The description must correspond exactly to the content of the page.
- The description should be brief, but accurate.
Recommendations to headings H1
- All pages of the site should have only one H1 header!
- The H1 header should be placed above the content of the page and used to highlight the main page header.
- The H1 header should be text. It is not recommended to use H1 headers as links or images.
- The H1 header should be unique within the site (unless it is not logical for the user to do so);
Recommendations for using H2-H6 headings
- H2-H6 headings should only be used for the logical segmentation of page content.
- Headings should not be used in through blocks of the site to visually highlight blocks (e.g., headings for "menu", "news" blocks, etc.).
- Headings should be text. It is not recommended to use H2-H6 headings as references or images.
- The content of the headings should reflect the text below and highlight the semantic parts of the text (paragraphs).
- Headings should only be used where they are really needed. Too many headings on the page disorientate the user and make it difficult to understand where one topic ends and another begins.
Recommendations on the content on the pages of the site
- The content on the pages of the site should be useful for the user. To match the user's search query as fully and accurately as possible.
- The content should be easy to understand.
- The content must be unique both within the site and on the Internet (except when it is technical specifications or any other content that cannot be unique).
- The content must relate to the subject matter of the page on which it is posted.
- The formatting of the content must be the same on all pages of the site.
- The site should not have pages without content.
Qualitative, optimized for key phrases and useful to the user content has a positive effect on the position of the site in search engines.
Recommendations on the elements of business credibility
- When entering the site, the user should immediately understand which organization the site belongs to.
- All pages of the site should contain information about the operating mode, the address of the company (if the arrival of the buyer is provided) and contact details for communication.
- E-mail specified on the site for communication should have a domain name corresponding to the domain of the site (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Telephone numbers on the website must be in international format. It is highly desirable to have a city phone number.
- In order to increase the level of confidence in the site, the following information should be provided (depending on the specifics and activities of the company) on the site:
- Certificates (licenses for trade or services; certificates of conformity for the goods sold, registration certificates, etc.);
- Awards (all the awards received during the work of the company/shop (diplomas, cups, certificates, etc.));
- Feedback from clients/users about the company, about goods (including thanks on letterheads);
- Information on the possibility of replacement or return of goods;
- Information on delivery and payment methods;
- A list of clients (partner companies or a list of companies with which they have successfully cooperated).
The "Contacts" page should contain the following information:
- Company name with the form of ownership;
- Legal address and bank details (UNP, P/C);
- Full postal address (if different from the legal address);
- Index for postal items;
- Telephones in international format;
- E-mail address in the form of an active link;
- Time and mode of operation of the store;
- Map plan (if available).
- Alternative methods of communication (skype, feedback form, etc.) if available.
- In case there is specificity in service (for example, one office works with legal entities, and the other - with individuals) it should be indicated on the page.
- If documents are required to enter the office or if you need to call from the security post to the extension number, this should be indicated on the page.