12:45 22 December 2012
Why is it that people aged 55 plus seem to be healthierand fitter than younger people these days? Surely it should be the other way round as people aged 18 to 25 are still young.
It might be because younger people don’t do as much exercise these days. Instead, they may be students at University, spending their time studying in their rooms or in the library, or they may work and choose to play on computer games instead of going outdoors in their spare time.
It may relate to health reasons. Younger people these days have access to more readily-available food than people did thirty years ago. Fast food restaurants in particular can provide affordable snacks on-the-go. It may be that the younger generation over-indulge, or eat food that is not healthy, or that they simply don’t exercise to work calories off.
Here are five reasons as to why the over 55s could be fitter than younger people:
· Younger people these days, in particular children, are probably less likely to ride bicycles. This may be because of a few reasons, including the fact that they may grab lifts off parents or catch the bus, or because it is thought to be less safe outdoors.
· For adults over the age of 55, it was quite common to socialise with friends outside. This would entail playing games after school and at weekends. These days perhaps children in particular miss out on the chance to exercise naturally. Parents may be cautious over their child’s safety.
· The younger generation tend to prefer to play on gadgets indoors. This comes with the advance of technology.
· Let’s face it; the weather seems to be worse these days than it used to be! Perhaps younger people may want to go outside with their friends, maybe go to the beach, hang out in the park, play games in the street, but maybe wet weather prevents this?
· Maybe people over 55 have more time on their hands. If you are retired and spend your time in the garden or at an allotment, you are naturally spending time outside in the fresh air. Having more time can mean having more chance of doing exercise
Maybe however, older people are fitter and healthier than younger people because they choose to lead a healthier lifestyle.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website