Value of Post College Certification
The world is an open book with endless, knowledgeable opportunities.
15:42 25 September 2019
So it’s no wonder that many pursue academic prospects for a myriad of reasons. Some students prefer to continue their education post bachelor’s degrees to stand out in society. It’s also a chance to be ahead of the game in the job industry, offering you a ton of hiring or promotion opportunities as well as a pathway for a career change. Many would like to just keep learning, as well.
Whatever your reasons are, you might be wondering if a post-college certification is worth it. We attempt to answer this question below and help guide you on your academic path.
What is a Post-college certificate?
This certificate, also known as a post-graduate certificate, is when a student studies a short course, typically between 12-18 credit hours, after they’ve earned their graduate degree. It’s designed to be a more specialized training to enhance your professional needs. You can either take it alone or alongside a graduate program to make your academic experience more desirable.
Who might benefit from it?
One advantage of this certificate is that it focuses on a particular industry or job title and can range in many fields like business, culinary, creative arts, education, healthcare, or technical fields in several states in the U.S. Let’s say you have your eye on achieving a Project Management Professional (PMP) certification to advance in the business industry. There are a number of opportunities to get a PMP Certification or any state, according to where you’d like to work. In the United States, these certificates are increasing in popularity, especially if you’re considering innovative fields, like technology, due to its rapid change.
Benefits of this certification
There are many advantages you need to be aware of before enrolling in a post-graduate certificate, find them below to help you make your decision:
- Enhance your education - There are times when you don’t know what to do with your degree or you feel that you’re not ready for employment. Enhancing your academic journey will help in knowing more about your industry of choice, thus making you a desirable candidate because you have extra knowledge and experience within the field.
- Getting industry experience - The great thing about post-graduate programs is that they can offer you the chance of internships or job placements during your course training. This allows you to be exposed to how working in your field, in the real world, will be like. You’ll be given job training, hands-on experiences, and an understanding of professional work environments, which will definitely give you a competitive edge in the job market.
- Saves you time and money - One dilemma a lot of students go through is whether they should acquire a post-graduate certificate or a Master’s Degree. Many become discouraged with the amount of rigorous work required for the latter, and that’s how a certificate comes into play. It’s much cheaper and takes less time to complete seeing as it’s less than two years required for a Master’s Degree.
- Widens your network - One of the greatest benefits is that this certificate exposes you to a ton of like-minded individuals you might have not crossed paths with normally. Whether they’re professors, advisors, fellow students, potential headhunters, and many others who will definitely expand your network and connections for when it’s time to hunt for a job.
- Endless opportunities - It’s a common misconception that you need to acquire a degree from scratch in a specific field if you’re looking to change career paths. Interestingly enough, you don’t need to go back to college, you just need to get certified in your field of choice. It’s also a chance to be exposed to endless job hiring opportunities because many industries prefer those who have extensive knowledge in the field, especially if it’s technical.
- Job security - The job market is continuously evolving and by earning a certificate, it allows you to have a competitive edge that makes you indispensable. Getting this certificate means you’re expanding your skills and keeping them relevant and up-to-date. It also opens up pathways for promotion like in the healthcare or education fields that require you to constantly evolve and grow.
- Increase in pay - Everyone is looking to make more money; earning a certificate should be enough motivation for you to seek higher payment. In some industries, those who are certified can get a salary increase estimated between 13-25%. When you look at it, it’s actually a high return on investment.
Whether you’re looking to enhance your skills or knowledge, getting a better promotion, having a competitive edge in the job market, changing careers, or for an increase in pay, a post-graduate certificate can be the answer to all your professional worries. Decide on which one suits your needs and the field of your choice, become an indispensable employee and you’ll be one step ahead of everyone.