A Simple Guide to Domain name registration
The Internet is a place for a plethora of content, including cat memes, fake news, and net neutrality debate.
11:46 29 December 2020
We all need something of our own, and it is not possible without having a domain name, especially in the digital world.
The Internet’s expansion at an astonishing rate has always attracted more and more domain registrations since the first registration some thirty years ago. As of 2015, there are more than 320 million active domain names with an annual growth of 10%. It means that people from different parts of the world are creating domain names and claiming a small space in the digital world.
Domain Names and their Importance
Domain names or Domains are how one organizes websites and the pages that customers often visit the Internet. The DNS or the Domain Name System is a universal naming system that assigns IP addresses to the web servers and web pages. You can think of the DNS as one phone book. You will input the domain name in the web browser to visit a site. Without DNS, the Internet has no reason for existence.
Before you think about domain name registration and its process, understand the format so that you can pick the right domain. The organization is from right to left, where the “.com,””.org,” and “.net” are called Top Level Domains (TLDs). The Second Level Domains (SLDs) are what you see like “google,””wikipedia,” and “sourceforge,” etc. The machine name is “www.”
Take note that the domain name is not equivalent to a URL. A DNS is a part of the URL. The URL is the more extensive and more specific Internet address containing several page addresses, folder name, machine name, and protocol language.
- Domain names are not case-sensitive.
- You cannot enter a space in domain names. However, you can add a dash (-) in SLDs for better clarity. Nonetheless, it is essential to use it only if it gives clarity, otherwise choosing a name without a dash is advisable.
- You cannot use special characters in the domain name.
- TLDs do not have any character limit, but the SLDs must be two characters long minimum and 63 characters long maximum.
Is Domain Name Essential?
There are three different reasons why you must buy a domain name. These are:
- Own Domain: Although a few sites, such as wordpress.com, provides free website services, it does not include domain registration. Therefore, you will have the wordpress.com and the end of the name of your domain. If you consider the option to rise to the top in the search engine results, you will need your domain.
- Permanent Website Address: When you purchase a domain, you own it, and it stays with you until it expires. It becomes your home in the digital world forever for as long as you continue renewing the domain. You can set the domain for auto-renewal, making it a simple process.
- Affordable Fees: You do not have to spend a lot on domain name registration. The average is between $10 and $15 a year. The fee is a small price that you are paying for owning a space on the Internet. You can choose the annual plan or monthly plan, depending on your needs.
Completing the registration is the right way to own content on the Internet. The content that you post will have a permanent home.
How to Choose the Domain Name?
It is essential to pick the appropriate domain name for your site. The following will help you understand how you can pick the right name:
- The Power of .Com: There are several TLDs available, but the effective one is “.com.” The exposure it provides makes it an excellent choice. According to a marketing firm case study, 75% of 100 million web links lead to “.com” TLD. However, at times it is difficult to find the name that you want, leaving you to opt for “.net,””.org,” and “.info.” In such cases, changing the name of the SLD is a better option.
- The Length: The SLD character limit is 63. Please do not make it too long or too short for people to forget. As a rule of thumb, make the length 15 characters and possibly with three words.
- Keywords: Supports SEO and include a keyword that will be quick to remember. Localization is also the key to success. If promoting a local business or community is on the cards, then include regional keywords to attract users.
- Keeping It Simple: Do not use specific keywords that are hard to remember. Further, avoiding numbers and words with two syllables is advisable. Try to keep the name as simple as possible.
- Domain Name Research: Before you begin the domain name registration process, indulge in research. Ensure that the name is legal and viable. Plus, ensure that you are not infringing on any trademarks. Avoid conflicting with other businesses or brand name as you try to stand out from the rest of the crowd.
- Privacy: Do not forget about privacy. Domain privacy, referred to as WHOIS protection, helps protect your personal information by hiding the data from the public when you are registering for a domain. It is crucial to prevent others from gaining your personal information, including your name, address, and other details.
Impact on Business
The domain name helps you create the impact you wanted on business by driving traffic, which increases the brand’s image.
The domain name, spelled correctly and relevant to the business, helps increase reputation and web authority.
Adding a keyword into SLD does not guarantee an SEO boon. It makes it easier for users to click your links, as they know what they are searching and entering!
Depending on location and community, the domain name can increase reach and interactions.
Domain name registration is crucial because it is a vital part of the entire construction of the Internet. It is equally essential for your first step in building a successful online presence. Do not get emotional or worry but get practical and find the perfect SLD and TLD for your website today!